The Children of King George
George III’s and Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz’s many children and grandchildren included:
(1) George Augustus Frederick, Prince of Wales (and later King George IV) was the heir apparent (1762-1830). George IV married Caroline of Brunswick. Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales was their only child (1796-1817).
(2) Frederick Augustus, Duke of York (1763-1827), who married Fredericka of Prussia had no legitimate children.
(3) William Henry, Duke of Clarence (and later King William IV) (1765-1837) married Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen. Their children included Princess Charlotte Augusta Louisa, who was born in 1819 but who did not survive, and Princess Elizabeth Georgina Adelaide, who suffered a similar fate.
(4) Charlotte Augusta Matilda, Princess Royal (1766-1828) married Frederick I of Wurtemburg. They had no children.
(5) Edward Augustus, Duke of Kent (1767-1820) married Victoria Mary of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfield. These were the lucky parents of the future queen, Alexandrina Victoria of Kent. QUEEN VICTORIA (1818-1901) married Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.
(6) Princess Augusta Sophia (1768-1840) did not marry.
(7) Princess Elizabeth (1770-1840) married Frederick of Hesse-Homberg, but they had no children.
(8) Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (and later King Ernest of Hanover) (1771-1851) married Fredericka of Mecklenberg-Strelitz. King George V of Hanover was their son.
(9) Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex (173-1843) first married Lady Augusta Murray, by whom he sired Augustus Frederick d’Este (1794-1848) and Augusta Emma d’Este (1801-1866). Later, he married Lady Cecilia Letitia Buggin. Lady Cecilia presented Augustus with no children.
(10) Adolphus Frederick, Duke of Cambridge (1774-1850) married Augusta of Hesse-Cassel. Their children included George, Duke of Cambridge (1819-1904), Princess Augusta of Cambridge (1833-1927), and Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge (1837-1897).
(11) Mary (1776-1857) married William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester of Edinburgh. They had no children.
(12) Princess Sophia (1777-1848) never married.
(13)Prince Octavius (1779-1786) died in infancy.
(14) Prince Alfred (1780-82) died in infancy.
(15) Princess Amelia (1783-1810) died in infancy.
Tomorrow, we will take a closer look at the intrigues surrounding the Royal family and the “madness” of King George III.